Monday, February 11, 2013

Negative Inside Chatter



Include, but are not limited to:
"You are not liked.
Who are you to think you could do that?
Why did you say that?  Everyone thinks you're annoying.
Your kids just illustrated every inadequacy you have as a mom.
You are invisible.
Have you ever been taunted by thoughts like these?...Why do we let such destructive words fall hard on our souls?"
"'How do you know that's what I'm thinking?  Please don't hold me liable for saying things that are really only thoughts in your mind.'"
"The more ratcheted up this negativity gets, the closer we are to an explosion (spewing) or an implosion (stuffing).  Whether we spew or stuff, our anxiety level skyrockets..."
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and you minds in Christ Jesus..." (Philippians 4:6-9)

Three Questions
"Question 1:  Did someone actually say this or am I making assumptions about what they're thinking?"
"Philippians 4:6 invites us to choose prayer over worry in every situation."

"Question 2:  Am I actively immersing myself in truth?"
"Remember what science reveals:  When we feel anxious, those negative thoughts shift your body's focus to protection and reduce your ability to process and think with wisdom or grow healthy thoughts."
Philippians 4:7

"Question 3:  Are there situations or relationships that feed my insecurities?"
Philippians 4:8


Quieting the Inside Chatter
"...if you do know what I'm talking about, exhale with relief that you're not alone."  :-D
Psalm 126: 2-3
"How a woman thinks is often how she lives.  May we think on and live out truth, and only truth, today."



Questions
How have you parked your mind "on constructive thoughts"?
Who have you told recently, "I love you.  That's all I'm thinking.  Period"?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I don't even want to post on this chapter. This chapter was written for me.

    Currently, I have been thinking, "I don't do anything important."

    I'm going to leave it at that for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, to answer my own two questions...
    We texted this weekend, so you know my answer to the first one...
    And, two, yes, I texted that exact phrase to a friend who was in need of hearing it. :-)

    ReplyDelete