Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Kid-Placemat Life



 
"Finding the gentle middle between exploding and stuffing can be hard, but God is working on me."
"But there's yet another layer we must add before we move on.  It's perspective."
"Let your gentleness be evident to all" (Philippians 4:5)
"Rejoice in the Lord always.  I will say it again: Rejoice!" (Philippians 4:4)
"The more I rejoice, the more I keep things in perspective.  The more I keep things in perspective, the gentler I become."

Reevaluating My Kid-Placemat Life
"Comfort zones are like that.  Remember, comfort zones don't have to be comfortable--they're just familiar.  It's where you feel like you belong.  And where you come to believe you belong is where you will stay."
"Having God as an identity marker reduces Him to nothing more than a label, a lingo, and a lifestyle -- I'm a Christian so I talk like one and act like one.  But having God as an identity changer is much, much more.  It means I am no longer the person I was before...I am making imperfect progress.  Shifting, breaking away, and being chiseled.  I am a woman whose identity has been changed by coming face to face with the One who has the power to completely transform me."

Vanished
"Where human finances, strategies, and programs fall short, God's power fills the gap.  When discouragement looms close, God's power moves in closer."


Questions
How has the rejoicing been going?  Keeping things in perspective?  Is it helping you remember to be gentle?
"Is the situation I'm facing today really one of those things" that "warrant my mental energy"?
Do you pursue "perspective-magnifying opportunities"?
Where have you seen God lately?


2 comments:

  1. How has the rejoicing been going?
    mmm, okay. I have felt calmer recently. I still don't feel super happy. I don't know what it is. It bothers me. I'm not feeling sad though.

    Keeping things in perspective?
    I was angry today when they ruined my makeup but just sent them to their room until lunch (only five minutes things were already heated up). I know it will be funny later. I just am more frustrated by the money that I just spent yesterday is smeared over my toddlers nose.

    Is it helping you remember to be gentle?
    I don't think that word crossed my mind but I didn't spank them.

    "Is the situation I'm facing today really one of those things" that "warrant my mental energy"?
    NO.

    Do you pursue "perspective-magnifying opportunities"?
    No, these sound bad. This sounds like someone dying. ...okay, so I volunteered at the community center the night before we left for Christmas and I do like to go there. Those teens really need love and to just hangout.

    ...who is reading this? ... my husband said last night we are the only ones in our home church "not living paycheck to paycheck." And that really makes my heart ache because I don't think we are great financially.

    Where have you seen God lately?
    Making art. Asking to tutor someone in art. In my children's happiness playing together and not needing much to laugh and play. They don't really need that much food or clothes or toys. We give them more than they need. The same is with me. I have way more than I need and I shouldn't desire anything.

    ...we are often asked about our desires and it bothers me. I don't know how to answer. My mom asked me what Evie wants for her second birthday at the beginning of next month and she doesn't really need anything. And when people ask me about Christmas, I did get a wonderful camera but nothing else because we normally don't get gifts. I liked taking the kids toys away before Christmas this year. I thought I might give in and give them back before Christmas but they made it the whole month with books, a doll and art supplies.

    What am I suppose to say when addressing my desires?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You desire to sell a painting. You desire to take master level classes.
    Your mom did not say what does Evie need. That catches me a lot because some people in my life point out that it is want not need. I really believe if you don't need it than do we really have the space for it? Are you going to take care of it? And, if both answers are, "I dunno." Then, you probably shouldn't get it.
    But, yes, our boys have way more than they need. I took away a whole tub of toys shortly after Thanksgiving and stashed them in the basement, just in-case something was requested that I had put in the tub. I got rid of the whole tub a week ago. They crabbed as it went out the door but haven't mentioned it since nor had they mentioned it the month it was in the basement.
    Rejoicing...
    Um, yeah, you know me. My favorite, "you are driving me crazy," mantra is, "I love you." I think that is my rejoicing. It reminds me the hard work we did to get that child. It reminds me that they are a special gift. And, that I do love them.
    I have started praying for my mother-in-laws. It is amazing how that helps keep things in perspective and makes me have gentler thoughts toward the one I most often have conflict with.
    The one mother-in-law, probably, yes. I am paranoid that letting her back in is pretty much the verbal equivalent of asking to be kicked again. I need to spend time thinking about how to let her in without jeopardizing my well-being.
    Other stuff, no, not so much.
    Do you pursue "perspective-magnifying opportunities"?
    Hmmmm, I suppose it could be someone dying. However, I think it can be putting things in the correct perspective of God being in control.
    I enjoy going to BSF and reading through ASKs. It puts so many things in perspective. My mom doesn't have cancer. My brother is not recovering from MAJOR surgery. Etc. Basically, my life is really good and easier than it has any logical right to be.
    I saw God at church Sunday morning. I have been really struggling with other people telling me they will be praying for me to forgive mother-in-law. I didn't really understand that. I am not angry at her. I have forgiven her. I thought... Then, Sunday morning. I don't remember what was said or even the context, but, it was like, "Oh, I do need to forgive her." Sigh, I'm not ready. I don't want to be verbally kicked again. Is it okay to protect myself? How do I protect myself?
    Also, I hate the, I'll do nice things instead of apologize place she is at currently.
    Grrrrr!

    ReplyDelete