Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Real Love for Real Life by Andi Ashworth

I received my copy of our new book today.  :-)  Thank you, Marcy.  :-)
I'm thinking, to get us started, this post will cover the Preface, Acknowledgments, and Embracing the Truth About Caregiving.
My next post and the posts after that will cover two chapters a week for the following 5 weeks.
Happy reading.  And, as Marcy told me, "Don't feel guilty for what you aren't doing.  Be encouraged by what you are doing."

 

As I started reading, I wondered how old she was when the first copy was released.  So, I, just now, checked the copyright date and discovered it was 2002.  It is amazing how much your life can change in 10 years.

Since a number of us have taken on the role of mommy, before becoming a mommy, would you have given yourself the title of caregiver?
What were your views of being a caregiver 10 years ago?  How has that changed as you have taken on new roles and responsibilities?
Take a Moment:  Brag about your caregiving.  What have you done in the last 24 hours to make someone feel special?

4 comments:

  1. I have always been a caregiver. I have, also, always enjoyed babies. My mom ran an in home daycare and I enjoyed helping her with the kids.
    My Grandma was my role model. She took care of her mom, even having her live with my Grandparents for the last several years of her life. Plus, she took care of which ever of her 13 grand-kids were in need of a little extra care.
    For me, that meant long phone calls most afternoons to replay my school day. She never complained, and rarely rushed to get off the phone.
    Ten years ago, I was at a low in my willingness to be a caregiver. I loved it but it hurt bad to work with kids while dealing with fertility issues. Although, even at the low, I still enjoyed time with my nieces and nephew.
    In the last 4 hours, I hauled my mom and dad's empty garbage can back up to the house. So, not a big thing, but, it was sitting there and I had a free hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say caregiving just seems natural to me. I, too, love babies AND my mom had a home daycare. :)
    I sometimes feel inadequate at being a caregiver because I don't know how to sew well or can or throw "fancy" parties. My SIL is so encouraging, "read a book."
    I love being a mom and I like cooking and cleaning for people. I just think of it as what you do not something so creative and special.

    From Sunday to Wednesday, I stayed at a friend's house with her four kids so she could go with her husband on a trip. It was fun. I took six kids to the zoo by myself, worked on their math (they are homeschooled) and taught them to cook a few things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is Marcy? She choose this book. And I want to hear her views of being a caregiver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Canned salsa for the first time this year. Super yummy and easy. :-) And, I posted the link to the recipe blog.

    ReplyDelete