Monday, October 12, 2009

Chapter 14

Refueling That Lovin' Feeling

We begin to feel more like roommates than soul mates. (212)

Fuel for a woman's heart...Remember that it's easier to act your way into a new way of feeling than to feel your way into a new way of acting. (216)

Fuel for a husband's heart...Favorite four-letter word, N-I-C-E, favorite five-letter word, H-A-P-P-Y, favorite six-letter word, F-R-I-E-N-D, favorite seven-letter word, R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Passionate Love and Companionate Love
Passionate love fades as the brain builds up a tolerance. But, companionate love lasts and lasts.

What action are you going to take to fuel your heart?
What action did you take to fuel your husband's heart?

Maybe going way off topic...
Supposing you were in a long term relationship and then decided to marry that person, would the action of getting married put you back in the passionate love state? Why or why not?
Do you suppose that people who are in long term, unmarried relationships find compaionate love, thus keeping them from the need to get married? Why or why not?
How does the comment on Focus on the Family about a woman's spirit being crushed by a male who will sleep with her and not marry her play into passionate and companionate love? Does she stay because her spirit is crushed or because she has found a companion? Does he keep her around just to get sex or because he enjoys the companionship?

1 comment:

  1. Rick and I spent the other evening talking about some assumptions I had made about him. So, now I'm working on putting those aside. He is working to, I've noticed, on being more open to my suggestions.
    I think our conversation helped fuel his heart.

    I asked the next question with the thought of my brother in mind (not that him and Leah are thinking of getting married anytime in the next year). I think it would temporarily. But, coming down off of it would be a lot more harsh. Just the joy of something new and the time away (I'm thinking honeymoon) from kids, work, etc.
    I think the woman stays in hopes he will change his mind. She thinks it will be hard to find someone else. I think he stays for the sex. My cousin Jesse commented once that he kept his girlfriend around because she was there when he went to bed at night. (His girlfriend had a really bad home life and ended up moving into my aunt's house.) I feel sorry for them being in such a loveless situation and no one (part of the couple) seeming to know how to get out of it.

    ReplyDelete